Wednesday, June 25, 2008
A Messy Kitchen
My wife does so much for us (her husband and kids). That simple fact should be most obvious when she is here actually doing those things. But frankly, some of those things go unnoticed or taken for granted because they happen so often. For example, cooking. My wife is a really great cook. And she likes to cook. And the rest of us like to eat her cooking. Her cooking adds life to this house. It adds aromas, and colors, and sounds, and warmth. It makes a messy kitchen. I make a messy kitchen too when she is gone, but my mess is lifeless: empty pop cans, papers, dried up dishes, keys, dish rags, and cold coffee at the bottom of the pot. I look into the refrigerator and grab the obvious. She looks into the refrigerator and creates the obvious from the unobvious. She looks at the flour and sees hot bread. I look at the flour and see white powdery stuff. Never mind how much we all enjoy the food she makes. The act of cooking is itself something to be treasured. I love coming home to the sound of cooking. My kids are really blessed to have a mom who takes the time to make great food for them. I'm sure they really have no idea; blessing is all they have ever known. So what does she have left from her busy life to offer orphans? A messy kitchen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment