A few days ago a colleague came into our office and said she had a confession to make. She said that her bank charged her a $39 fee, and she called to argue it. She was polite, but there was a disrespectful 'tone' in her voice. She was clearly irritated. Well, she went back in her records to see what had happened and guess what. She found that the mistake was actually her mistake; the kind of mistake that she would rarely make. Now she felt badly for her 'tone' on the phone, so she called the bank back (not sure how to reach the same person) and told the guy who answered that she was calling to apologize. What an uncommon act. She said it was a good reminder that she isn't always right, and more importantly that her first assumption should not be that the 'other guy' is wrong. Well, we all know that little saying about assumptions...
I think God likes to use events that converge at one day or time to make a point. I had not thought too much about myself. This story had nothing to do with me. Then later I realized that I had made false assumptions on the same day. The dentist's office called to remind us of an appointment this week. Well, I'm the only one in town this week, so clearly my wife forgot to write down the appointment and took off for vacation, leaving me to contact the dentists office. Right? Not exactly. It turns out that it wasn't my wife's mistake
How easily I jumped to a false assumption. This story does apply to me. Now I'm the one who needs to make the confession.
No comments:
Post a Comment