Sunday, June 29, 2008

Defilement

I was reminded this Sunday that Jesus messes with our categories. The Pharisees of his time were very concerned about being righteous and keeping themselves from being defiled - not only by keeping the commandments in the law but by adding to them. They came up with things that looked pious but were actually disobedient. This is a common temptation. I sometimes notice my kids doing what they think is a better version of obedience, when in fact they are disobeying a simple command. I'm sure I could think of times when I have done the same.

Christ didn't tell the Pharisees that they didn't need to be pure. He explained the deeper meaning of the purity laws. He explained that it's not the things we touch and eat that we should be worried about. Rather, defilement comes from inside the heart - evil thoughts, etc. Interestingly what comes out of our mouths reveals what's in the heart. So, what comes out is much more important that what goes in.

This topic of defilement was also a reminder that Jesus - who was the fulfilment of the law - spent time doing things that were repulsive to the Pharisees. He touched lepers, dead bodies, sinners, and people who were considered unclean. He brought healing, life, and cleansing. He brought hope to the outcast. He did not avoid people who were shunned. He touched the untouchables. Aren't we called to be like Christ?

No comments: