Monday, July 21, 2008

Someone to Listen

Many heavy thoughts were on my mind today, but this post is about a simple little something. This evening I was having a heck of a time getting my youngest daughter to stay in bed and be calm. She was upset and discontent. Nothing seemed to be going her way, and she wasn't shy about letting me know of her dissatisfaction with bedtime. So I decided to just sit with her on my lap in the living room - just her and me.

She proceeded to talk my ear off. Even though I didn't really understand every word my three year old had to say, I got most of it. I think it was the same story at least four times; it included grandma and gum. She must not have reached her word quota for the day until we sat down. After this long, one sided chat I put her back in her bed. She stayed there without a peep and went fast to sleep. I guess she had a lot on her mind too and just needed someone to listen.

No comments: