Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Planned Outage
We're planning a little experiment for tomorrow. We are turning off our power for a good part of the day; at least the part when we are all typically home. I think this was my wife's idea - another example of her sharp mind. I like it. I might not like it after we do it, but I like the idea. It is far too easy to take things for granted. I warned the kids to be prepared and plan ahead for this planned outage. We starting to list the things that would not work: no dishwasher, no microwave, no lights, no Internet. "Will the clock still work?" they asked. "Will the water still work?" (yes). These are good questions, and they show that some of the kids don't quite know what requires electrical power and what does not. Tonight I'm sitting here with lights around me. Tomorrow, not so much. I hope is causes us to think. At the very least it will save us a few pennies on our electric bill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment