Friday, April 17, 2009

Indivisualism

I recently attended a workshop about creating a graduate research center for American Indian students. During the meeting, to topic of healing past wounds between our nations/cultures came up. This made me think of the times in the past that I have heard and thought, why do we need to be responsible to make those things right? That wasn't our generation. We lived in the 1990s and we weren't even born then. At the same meeting I hear elders talking about their ancestors and about future generations. I can see why some people are attracted to a Native American way of looking at some things. They know they are connected to their people. It also made me realize why it would make no sense for them to say, that wasn't me that was my great grandfather. Only an individualistic view can separate oneself from generations past and future. That's what my generation tends to do. One more test of individualism.

No comments: