Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Whole Opera

Today I decided to help in the kitchen by doing the dishes that wouldn't fit in the dishwasher. I think we could have filled three dishwashers if we had that many. My wife is making food for others, food for a potluck, bread for church, and food for tomorrow. I think I cleaned some of those same dishes twice before ever getting out of the kitchen once.

This work reminded me of an article written by Ben Merkle in Credenda Agenda a couple of years ago. It was titled, Sexual Opera. The point was that our culture, and men in particular, love sex, but are not as willing to give their attention to the fruit of it - children, and grandchildren. He likened sex to an opera where people like to be known as opera lovers, but are rarely willing to sit through the whole opera. Instead they leave at intermission, not willing to embrace an encore of children as a result.

Eating a good meal can also be thought of in the way Ben described. Most men love to eat a wonderful meal. Sometimes we're willing to help. But how much do we love the whole opera. A great meal takes preparation. It takes time and attention. Do we get intimately involved in the event, or do we only look forward to the meal (which might only take a short time to eat)?

I'm thankful that the woman in my life is committed to the whole opera - when it comes to children and when it comes to meals. She often says how much she loves cooking. Wierd as it sounds, that even includes cleaning the dishes.

I think we men need to be more eager for the whole opera. Helping in the kitchen before and after eating the food may not be the first thing on our very legitimate to-do-lists, but it's an important part of life. I also want my boys to be good husbands and fathers, so I want them to learn this lesson. It applies to many things. I think they need to start helping more with preparing our meals. Lord willing, someday they will be men who truly love the opera from start to finish - men who love the meal, not just eating.

No comments: