I'm home with a sick little boy for a while today. It's the real thing, but I think he is starting to feel a little better. He's not used to taking naps. I wanted him to rest, so I reached way down into the Dad's bag of tricks - an iPod. I really like that thing.
We have several children's books as audiobooks, including "Henry and the Paper Route" by Beverly Cleary. I love her books. They make you feel like a kid. Some were written in the late 50's, and she does such a great job of describing life from a kid's perspective. We've been reading one of her other stories at bedtime recently.
Anyway, we don't usually let our little guy use the iPod, but today I gave him the earphones and put him in bed. He wasn't quite sure what to do. He lay really, really still with his head on the pillow and earphones on both sides. As the story started he got a big smile on his face. I left him alone. When I checked on him the first time he told me something funny from the story (still smiling). The next time I checked he was fast asleep. I think he lasted for almost 20 minutes - most of the way through chapter 1.
I slipped the iPod out of his way and left the room. I bet he's dreaming right now about a boy named Henry or a dog named Ribsy.
No comments:
Post a Comment