Friday, September 19, 2008
What's Your Answer?
I've been on several search committees at work recently. One of the questions that is often asked is something like, "What do you think is the most important aspect of working with other people?" I've started to get excited to see if anyone will answer this question like I would. I think the last six applicants have all answered it the same way. The overwhelming answer is, "communication." People say they want to know what expectations are. They want to know what's going on. They want people to talk to them. Even now I can think of many specific cases at work where people have simply failed to communicate. This can indeed cause all kinds of problems. But despite this good answer, it's not what I would say. My answer is related but different. The people I've interviewed lately have not even mentioned this one when they elaborate on communication. My answer to this question is, "trust."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment