Monday, March 29, 2010

A New Passion


This time it is So So's turn to have a birthday. I tried to pry a birthday wish-list out of him at bedtime, but what I learned is that he has a new love: gardening. He helped mom and several of the other kids plant seeds with a neighbor a week or so ago. The seeds were planted in old egg cartons with potting soil in the dips. The kids have them sitting in the window to keep them warm. They have been watching them every day. Each morning they wake to find a few more green sprouts or some that have grown taller since the previous day. The birthday list So So gave was entirely gardening stuff. The kid wants dirt and seeds. I tried to get him to think outside of the planting box, but he didn't get far.


  • Seeds (food like pumpkin, sunflower, corn, cucumber, or whatever)

  • potting soil

  • gardening gloves that fit 7-yr old hands

  • garden shovel (the hand sized kind)

  • garden weed rake (again, the hand-sized kind)

  • an air soft gut (for scaring birds away from his garden, I'm sure) But if anyone get's him this gift they will have to deal with the wrath of him mother (It won't be pretty).

He already has a big egg carton waiting for soil and seeds. I'm not sure he can wait to weeks for potting soil, but he'll try. The sprouts in the picture belong to our neighbor. So So will have to part with them when it gets a little warmer out.



No comments: