For years I have thought that individualism was bad. You know that focus on "self." But recently I have come to realize that I am far more individualistic than I thought.
A series on Mars Hill Audio Vol 91 which talked about Tocqueville's view in the 1800's made this clearer to me. Individualism is "a peaceful and reflective sentiment that disposes you to retreat into your circle of family and friends." This is not exactly the same as selfishness, which is "a passionate self love in which we prefer ourselves to others."
The distinction is profound. Selfishness has been around forever. Individualism has grown out of democracy and equality. Individualism can dry up the public virtues - a situation where we really don't care what happens in the public sphere.
The solution to individualism is the "right use of liberty." What does that look like? Try the creation of religious structures, involvement in political affairs, and the formation of associations.
Hmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment