Today I explained something to the kids that I also need to remember. Our job is to become less and less selfish every year. We are certainly born selfish. But it should be all downhill from there. The eight year old should be less selfish than the four year old, and the forty year old should be far less selfish than the ten year old. More and more we should be willing to give up what we want in order to give preference to others. That's one way to "love your neighbor as your self". When we can't agree on which game to play, the older should be better prepared to love the younger. This is part of our sanctification. It's not linear, but it should be noticeable.
Am I less selfish than I was ten years ago? Actually, yes. But this is no time to stop. I hope that in another ten years the answer will again be yes. As we grow in grace, tight fists will be loosed. My wrinkled hands should be open hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment